9.9.09

Mercury Music Awards 2009

I couldn't call it!
The 2009 Mercury Music Prize (brought to you by Barclaycard which, by law I'm sure, I have to mention) was close. As usual. But I usually pick the winner from my 1 or 2 choices.
I had my money on Bat For Lashes, fortunately, not literally. Being nominated last year, I thought she'd do an Elbow and win it 2nd time round. But this is an award show of dark horses and unpredicted events occurring.
I've been a fan of that Friendly Fires album from day dot one. But let's be honest they were never gonna win it. A FEW of the others are a bunch of artists who just picked a right time to realease their same old sounding LP, or something liked by the people, with a lame twist. I love the music industry.

CONGRATS!!! To Speech Debelle!! I can't lie, I havent heard much of her music. But I've been reading many a gig (p)review or interview in a national publication or two, and have been meaning to see what all the buzz is for. When these Guardian Guides and Time Out's begin to talk about "urban" artists. It's always their kind of urban - friendly to their ears, "Now, now. Nothing TOO urban I say!"
I liked what Nihal said on the show yesterday about Speech Debelle being a "Mercury Music Judge" kind of urban artist. I totally agree, and have been saying this forever. Not only on a Mercury Music Tip. But anything on a national scale. Anything TOO Kano or Gigs is too much. Its a shame. In the U.K, it's just not possible for an emcee to talk about their life over a beat and get recognition. For example, unless your talking these bars over an electro dance beat - where you're hardly even talking anything worth listening to, or a random Blur sample, OR let it be known in interviews how much you loved Sonic Youth as a child, it's not happening.
I could go on soooo much about the foolishness. But rant over for right now...
If such editorials catch on to an artist like Speech Debelle before I do? I tend to ignore it. And wait for me to catch the wave in my own way. But in this case, how I wish I had taken more interest earlier. But I blame you magazines and newspapers! So quick to to say the "next best thing" for any band who has high guitar straps.

The performance was a big deal. She's got me hooked to her stage presence and art-form. The band played real neat, and the song worked for the occassion.

This album is being spotify'd whilst typing this! Congrats once again....

No comments: